Re: [IP] question for the veterans

> From: Tom Beatson
> Before I began home BG testing, about 1982, I really had no appreciation
> the significance of BG test results, so as far as I was concerned I never
> thought about relative accuracy or inaccuracy of the urine tests. I knew
> that the urine tests really didn't tell me very much, but I didn't know
> anything about what I was trying to get an estimate of. The BG test at the
> doctor's office every three months told me nothing.

When I saw a step-niece's first home BG meter, I literally turned around and
walked out of the room. I wasn't interested in a small VCR-sized plug-in
monster to give the results of me poking my own fingers a few times a DAY!!
After all, I hadn't done it my first few decades of DM, why start then? Of
what use could it actually be? When I got Clinitest tabs or TesTape at the
pharmacy, I'd see strips for home meters (very costly) and knew no one ever
suggested I needed to do that. I saw no value in it. I, too, began home BG
testing in 1982 with Chemstrip bG strips cut into 1/3s to save $$, then
compared the results to the side of the canister's color chart.

Like Tom, the tri-monthly lab test told nothing since it was the BG at the
moment it was drawn. I knew that much - and knew it'd prolly be high at
that. I figgered everything I did was wrong, anyway and there was no hope
for me. The dr. at dx said, "Lots of things will come along in your lifetime
to help diabetics, but nothing will ever help you." He was the doctor and
knew wayyyyy more than this kid, so why wouldn't I believe him? I've growed
up (somewhat) lol and have a mind of my own now. (~_^)

Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it