[IP] Hazerdous Medical Waste, Municipal Waste in NJ

<PRE>The correct action with sharps depends on where you live - In New
those that sell you the sharps must provide the service for disposal but
not address sharps by mail for those using prescription plans - in the three
hospitals I've worked in (all in NJ) - ( and it was my department that had
the ultimate responsibility of disposing of the sharps ) each had a
procedure - one would not accept outside sharps, even from the local fire
departments and rescue squads - said it was not in the budget for us to have
our vendor handle other's sharps (Very few can process sharps - even with a
medical waste incinerator or sterilizer/grinder, sharps are not recomended)
The second ( with a diabetic clinic) provided the containers for free - hand
in a full one and you get an empty.   The third had a sheet on what they
would accept and when but did not provide a container.   So the best
information would be to ask your local provider what is right; if they can't
answer, call the local DEP (EPA) and ask them because their are regulations
on sharps because they are HMW (Hazardous Medical Waste) and have different
needs then MW (Municipal Waste)
As a former NJ resident and a practicing MD in NJ, we had to dispose of a
band aid in our Hazerdous Medical Waste Container. My nurse would puth the
band aid in a paper bag and give it to the patient with he admonition take
this home and throw it out here it is Hazerdous Medical Waste, at home, it
is trash. How come you can dispose of sanitary napkins and tampons and
condoms at home as well as diapers and cotton balls with all kinds of stuff
smeared on them It is a stupid law passed by the trash collectors to make
lots of money., spot
A. L. Bender, M. D.
email @ redacted
The titans of government listen carefully to the crooks and do their