Re: [IP] question for the veterans.

I'll chime in - when my daughter was dx'd in 1970, meters didn't exist.  We checked urine with the Clinitest Pill you drop into a test tube - it was 5 drops urine - 10 drops of water if memory serves.  It bubbled up in seconds - if it stayed blue - she was what we called "negative".  It could also change various shades of green - orange.  If it was dark orange - that was the worse.  We called it 4 + with the lighter colors between blue and dark orange being 1 +, 2 +, and 3 +.  It was very inaccurate but the best we had at the time.  She didn't have a meter until her 20's.  That's not to say they weren't around before that - she just didn't monitor her diabetes very well in her teens and beyond.  She does a fairly good job now - but it could be considerably better.  So far no major complications - altho every other minor and some no-so-minor maladies has affected her which I do attribute to diabetes.  We also started out on only one injection a day for years and years, until the doctors discovered multiple were better but she never did take more than 2 injections a day.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Tammy, mom to Joely, dx'd 1970; g-ma to Emma, dx'd 2001; both pumping 7-18-02