Re: [IP] Kaiser Permanente No. Cal pharmacy's new fees for test strips

I'll make a wild guess that your insurance policy year just started.

At 05:02 PM 09/03/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I went to my primary care Dr. today and requested a new prescription for
>the FAST TAKE meter test strips.
>Prior to today...my prescrip was for 200 and they have been free.
>I requested 400 thinking I could avoid trips to the Kaiser Pharmacy
>every two weeks as I test 10 to 12 times per day.
>Well...according to the Kaiser Pharmacy...as of September...all test
>strips, syringes, lancets...pump supplies are considered Durable Medical
>Equipment and subject to a DIFFERENT co-pay than my "normal
>prescription" co-pay which is, in my case, $10.
>Kaiser Pharmacy split the 400 test strip prescription into lots of 100
>each and charged me a 20% co-pay of $11.50 each for a grand total of

I was lucky to be warned of pricing changes (that took effect
01/01/02).    I was told that Profile strips were going to be $5.95 for 50
strips.  And in addition they have added an additional charge ($15. for me)
for "name brand" products even if only 1 company makes the product........

higher co-pay: humalog, novolog, lantus, zoloft, ???????

lower co-pay: lilly ultralente, novo R, prozac, ?????

The pharmacist said (not literally) diabetes treatment is expensive so
we'll pass on the
cost.    :-(

>It seems quite unreasonable to me...what used to be free..,
>I'll will need to go from strict control to much higher A1c's at these

Or find a way to do things differently.

>Becky LaSpina
>IDDM since 1957  - MM507c since 12/98

The feeling is that it's unfair (life threatening?), the fact is that
"they" have done it.

brings to mind....

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference

Take what you like and leave the rest,

Jim S.
email @ redacted

In the 80s hiv/aids treatment barely existed, until those involved said:
and how many others until it became "popular" or there was nothing left to