Re: [IP] Re: my tragic lancet story

Jan <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I'm sure it's a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) thing, but with AIDS and
> blood-borne diseases, we are cautioned often to put sharps in something
> *safe* from accidental (as cited in the original post) stabbing.

No, it's not a YMMV thing.  It is the law.  If someone is accidentally stuck
with a lancet and becomes sick from it, the person who did not protect
others is in deep doo doo.  FWIW, one of the most frequently offered in
house training courses at CDC is called "Blood Borne Pathogens."  Aside from
smoking, accidental sticks may be the most preventable cause of disease
there is.

Having said that, all lancets that I've seen come with a cap that can be
placed over the business end of the lancet, and that should protect just
about everyone.  If you don't have a sharps container (they only cost about
$2.50!) then make extra sure you adequately cover the lancet.

Jim Handsfield