[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #577

email @ redacted writes:

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Ice Cream
>
> I find when I eat ice cream and bolus for it, I tend to go low about 2
> hours
> later.
>
> I find that bolusing for milk instead of for the ice cream helps.  Not sure
>
> why and this is definitely a YMMV thing!!
>
> Gina

I recently found out that I am allergic to cows milk. I completely removed
all milk products from my diet. My blood sugars have never been this good. I
used to have ice cream after dinner and my fasting bgs were always bad even
when I took the amt of insulin it required. My gastro doc said that even
though I'm taking the right amt of insulin for the carbs listed, the lactose
in the milk breaks down hours later. Also, if your body is not digesting it
properly it can produce a gas in the intestines that gets absorbed and
triggers a release of a hormone that causes the liver to produce glucose- up
to 6 hrs later. Well, I feel great now.