Re: [IP] converting mmol/ or whatever to mg/dl

>From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:31:42 -0500
>>oh yeah, sugars at 9.8 (please don't ask me to convert right now),
>Since we know the conversion is 18x or 18 divided by, I was taught a
>*quicker* way to convert and give a ballpark figure: do it with 20. That
>can be easily converted in most people's minds without a calculator
Thank you JanH, and so easily perfected by THEN subtracting one-tenth:
So 9.8 mmol/L X 20 = 196 (easy)
minus 19.6 = 176.4 mg/dl (or the easy subtract 20)
Round it appropriately to subtracting 20 for 176 result
Any technique giving either 175 or 180 as result in this example
is also OK.
All these conversions derive from the molecular weight of glucose
being 180, so 1 milli-mole of glucose is 180 milligrams
and 1 Litre is 10 deci-litres
That's where the "18" factor comes from.

David C. Winegarden
t1 since mid 1950's pumping my insulin since 1/30/1993