[IP] Re: Non-responding highs

Sue writes:
<< You mean like if she's at 200, you can give her a bolus and she's back to
100 or
 whatever the target
 is, within 75 minutes? I wonder if children absorb it faster or something, or
 maybe if children have less fat, it would get absorbed faster.
 - --- >>

Yes.  Now generally I wouldn't check after 60 minutes if I was just
correcting a slight high (eg 200).  But if Claire is higher, then I have
checked at 60-75 minutes to make sure she is coming down and that the site
hasn't failed.  Generally by then she is back to a the number I have
expected. Early in pumping, after checking at 60 minutes I was worried
thinking she would drop further in the next hour and beyond, but that just
wasn't so.   I don't want her to drop too fast, as I have read that a drop
greater than 100 points an hour (5.0 mmol) causes swelling in the brain, so
at times its a little tricky.

Not sure if its all children, but certainly some people are more sensitive to
the insulin, and Humalog does work very fast in Claire.  NPH insulin did NOT
work well in her body.  Three years after dx she essentially had the same
dose of R /H as she did at diagnosis but the amount of NPH she was taking
went up 500%.

Another thing different with kids (not sure if this is all kids of course) is
the amount needed for a high-bg correction.  I had read Pumping Insulin
cover-to-cover before pump start and was surprised when the nurse told me not
to use those amounts for correction boluses.  Claire only requires .1 unit to
lower 1.0 mmol which is equal to 18 points, so .5 units lowers her almost 100
points. Yet her insulin/carb ratio is the same as many adults.  (1:15 morning
and now 1:20 at lunch and later since starting school and playing right after

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7