Re: [IP] RE: Katie's 1st Pumpin' A1c

In a message dated 9/29/2001 8:49:04 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> That's great that you can achieve that with (hopefully) not too
>  many lows.

That's been one more great thing about pumping for us - fewer lows, too!
Instead of 3-5 a week in the 40-60 range, Katie now has maybe 1 week in the
55-60 range.  And since they're almost all exercise-related, which we watch
for, it's much easier to cope with than all those completely unpredictable
lows we got with NPH . . .

And, as far as the 6.1 A1c goes:   while we are thrilled with that, we know
that we're unlikely to be able to consistently get numbers that good once the
raging homones of puberty really kick-in . . . we're already seeing some of
that with a fairly regular 28 day cycle of mid-morning spikes in her BGs,
even though she's not yet menstruating .  .  .

But, no matter what kinds of hormone-induced challenges we face during
puberty, it's abundantly clear to us that the pump is the best tool currently
available to help us help her to manage her diabetes, and the fact that it
has such an immensely positive impact on her quality of life is an incredible

PumpMama to Katie (10) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since