Re: [IP] daunted by opportunity...

In a message dated 9/27/2001 2:33:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> So I bought the pumping insulin book over a month ago
> and I haven't made it past the first chapter. I'm so
> intimidated by the degree of control one has with the
> pump and the responsibility that comes with it. Since
> I went on the pump in May, I've thrown away the
> starting basal rates and insulin/carb ratio my doc
> gave me which means I'm finding my own way gradually.
> But I'm a little lost, because I don't have any method
> to my bolusing - just eating sort of the same things
> when I can, which sort of works. I know my BG's are
> better than on MDI, but I can't seem to inspire myself
> to truly take advantage of the pump and figure out
> correction boluses, and other equations so many of you
> use. Does anyone feel this way? I've always avoided
> involving my endo, because the choice I make in how
> much insulin to take is ultimately made by me
> according to exercise and food on a day to day basis.
> Thanks for letting me rant, if anything.
> Catherine

I feel this way too. I have watched that video a couple of times to try and
figure things out. I pretty much have my insulin doses set but I don't use
the square wave and all the other stuff because I just find it easier to do a
correction bolus if needed. I don't understand how to figure out the amount
of insulin or for how long. To me this stuff sounds confusing. My diabetes
ed. tried  to explain and she is also on the pump but I didn't understand
when I went and tried it for myself. You are not the only one!
Heather W.