[IP] More on dual tx's

> I am curious why you did not have a pancreas transplant at the same time
as your
> kidney transplant. I know two people who had both and I thought that was
> routine.

This is how it was explained to us 9/6/01 at Northwestern Memorial Hospital,
Chicago, in the Kovler Organ Transplant Center:

There are 250,000 on dialysis - 130,000 are okay to transplant; 50,000 are
on the list for tx.

About 5,000 cadavers are available a year giving 10,000 kidneys a year.

Of the above cadavers, only 2000 pancreases are *good* for tx's due to being
too *fatty* or damaged in harvesting, etc.

Therefore, 8,000 people a year would not receive a pancreas along with a

The above are reasons why people need to let their families know of their
desire to be an organ donor upon their demise - and sign a card. However,
it's the *living* ones who make the ultimate decision of what is done with
the cadaver's organs.

Often, a recipient of a kidney cannot wait longer to receive a pancreas at
the same time to become usable/available and accepts the kidney only. Also,
many kidney recipients are from living donors who cannot give up their
pancreas. Many do receive a pancreas at a later date. (~_^)

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling.
Live your life so that when you die, you're the one who is smiling and
everyone around you is crying.