Re: [IP] Low Salt Diet?

Not True, Kathy.

Frozen vegetables are required to be frozen within 24-48 hours of harvesting.
 They are cleaned, cut, then usually frozen the same day.  The sodium that
you find in vegetables is NATURAL and should be there.  Also, we generally do
not tell patients to worry about this sodium that is natural in foods.  There
is sodium in all meats.  One of Sodium's jobs in the body is a role in muscle
contraction...meats are muscles and we cannot get all of the salt out of the
meats (it's in the individual muscles cells.)

Some examples of sodium levels in vegetables (frozen):

Broccoli, 1/2 c. frozen then boiled:  33 mg
Carrots, 1/2 c. frozen then boiled:  49 mg
Cauliflower, 1/2 c. frozen the boiled:  88 mg
Corn, 1/5 cup frozen then boiled:  4 mg
Green Beans 1/2 c. frozen then boiled:  6 mg

(from Bowes and Churches Food Values of Portions Commonly Used.)

And actually, frozen vegetables are better nutritionally than fresh
ones...for example...when the vegetables are picked, some got to be frozen
while the rest go to be shipped (who knows how far) to go to market.
Sometimes those 'fresh' vegetables that we buy at the grocery store have been
off the vine or out of the ground for 2-3 weeks (some longer) before they get
to the shelves of the local store.  The frozen vegetables would have been
frozen within 24-48 hours of harvest.  Their vitamins and minerals would have
been sealed in and protected against loss to oxidation as would happen with
the 'fresh' vegetables.

There are some vegetable MIXES that are very high in sodium...especially the
ones that are mixed with sauces.

As for other frozen foods, TV Dinners are VERY high in sodium and should be
avoided.  Perhaps that is what the person who instructed you meant.  I know
this as I work with many renal failure patients and they do not go to
extremes and their labs, which are looked at every week, are usually normal.
normal...not 'OK for someone in renal failure.'  Normal is normal...no
special 'ranges' for certain populations.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
Certified Minimed Pump Trainer
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 19+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
Diabetics are naturally sweet!
e-mail: email @ redacted

'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore