[IP] high numbers now gone

I would like to thank each of you who offered suggestions on how to deal with
the non responding highs and who shared your personal methods.  I'm
especially grateful for the "puberty" reminders.  I forget that a little just
turned 12 year old boy -- is at this stage.  Oh my, oh my!  His diabetes team
has prewarned me of these days and at the last visit in June said "beware
this stage has arrived!"  He seems to be growing a lot right now also.  But I
still think most of the unrelenting high was due to the sore mouth.  His ped
finally prescribed some zovirax and either that or time is beginnig to
resolve the problem.  It also took a temporary increase from .7 to 1.1 in the
basal rate.  It was amazing though to see how quickly he dropped yet he never
went below 80!  These are the times when I am reminded of how great a pump
is.  To try to manage an increase in long acting insulin (he was on NPH) just
would not work.  With the pump we are also able to give a bolus every 2 - 3
hours without fear of the long acting insulin "kicking in."  I believe this
type of care (and checking b/s 12 times in one day) is why he managed to
recover without going into DKA.
It's so nice to be a part of this group where everyone understands the daily
struggle of dealing with diabetes.
God bless,