Re: [IP] FW: ab work and infusion sites

> I need some help on doing abdominal exercises.  My infusion site is always
> on my stomach, and I've been warned by the MiniMed folks that ab work (or
> any kind of power lifting) can mess up your infusion site.  Any suggestions?
If possible move your sites outward, toward your hip flexor area.  Just
watch out for the last one or two ribs.

> Also, I feel like I'm already running our of infusion sites on my stomach. I
> HAVE studied all the pictures, but I feel comfortable with only a few spots.
> (I've been pumping for 5 months, after having diabetes for 25 years.)  I'm
> not thin, but therre aren't many fatty places on my stomach.  I'm 5'4", 120
> lbs,  when I stand up, my hip bones poke out, and I sure don't want want to
> put an infusion over bones.  Please advise.
I have had little success or comfort, getting close to 'bones'.  I would try
using the upper buttocks.  The easiest way to describe the area is the
surface under you back pants pockets.

> AND, I know we're supposed to change sites every 2 to 3 days, but I hate to
> waste alot of insulin.  I generally make mine last 3.5 days, and still wind
> up discarding alot of insulin.
Either, draw more into you resivoir, or if changing resivoirs, just put the
unused back into the bottle and draw into a fresh resv.  Many of us use this
method.  There have been no reports (to my knowledge) of any trouble with
insulin using this method.
Frank W. Tegethoff, Jr.
DCCT Control Group, MM507