Re: [IP] Re: Pump & Weight Loss

In a message dated 9/24/2001 9:24:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Yes, Heather I have been going thru the same thing for the last couple of
> weeks including weight gain. If it is not unexplained highs it is vicious
> lows. I got home from the E.R. at 4 this morning, That was after the rescue
> squad was called back here 30 mins after they left the first time. I went
> from 27 up to 120 while they were here. They were very concerned about my
> heart and its erratic behavior, but I was able to get them to leave me here
> promising to go to the doctor in the morning. Well, thirty minutes later my
> husband called them back and they were loading me on a gurney when I came
> to.
> This time I did not even bother to argue.  I had eaten an hour before this
> happened and bolused the proper amount. They said that when they got here I
> was vomiting all over the place (that was obvious looking at me). This is
> why
> they were concerned about a possible heart attack. I spent five hours in
> the
> hospital which did nothing except raise my bs so high that when I got home
> my
> meter would not even register. They still think making me eat a "snack" at
> the same time they are pumping me full of Dextrose is the answer. Well, it
> is
> not. I have now spent the day trying to get my BS down and stay down. A
> wasted sick day from work.
> I have only been on the pump since June and for the most part love it, but
> my
> poor husband is now experiencing things he has never had to before. We must
> just be patient and keep plugging along. In the end it is worth it..
> Maribeth Hughes

That was a scary situation. I hope everything worked out and it was nothing
serious with your heart. I know I have had some weird things happen when my
sugar has went too low. Overall the pump has improved the way I feel but I
still have some adjusting to do. I have been on it for over a year. It seems
like I think I have everything figured out then in a couple of days my
bloodsugars change and I am dumb founded again. I guess this is one of the
consequences of diabetes! Lucky us.
Take care, Heather W.