[IP] Re: BS 52 treated with OJ & What to Use to Treat Lows

In a message dated 9/25/01 11:56:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Huh?  Maybe with long acting insulin, but not with a pump/humalog.
> "Pumping Insulin" says to ALWAYS treat a low with quick acting sugar
> (like glu tabs or juice).

Actually, OJ is NOT the treatment of choice which totally took me by surprise
after reading the Pumping Insulin book.  I had used it for years along with
milk if I had no juice.  Although I solely use glucose tabs now, if I didn't
have them, I would probably pick the skim milk because it seems like OJ takes
forever to bring my sugars up.  I think that's why I used to stuff my face
before the pump when I was low.... I'd drink some juice and it just never
felt like it was helping.  Then I'd eat and eat and eat until the juice
kicked in.  Well, needless to say, after that, I was history till the next
day  :O(

Anyway, my understanding about the OJ is because it is fructose, the glycemic
index on it is lower than straight glucose.  Also, table sugar is not the
best choice either because it is one molecule glucose and one molecule

Here is the quote from the PI book, Page 141:

"You need to know that table sugar is made from one glucose molecule plus one
fructose molecule.  When it breaks down in the stomach, only 50 percent is
available immediately as glucose.  Fruit juices, like orange juice, contain
mostly fructose and are a poor choice for quick treatment of serious
reactions because they take so long to raise the blood sugar."

As always, the YMMV rule applies  :O)