[IP] cobra-continuation of coverage

The following is copied from Diabetes Self-Management and states it is
COBRA is Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act - which is a
federal
law which requires employers with more than 20 employees to offer most
terminating employees the option to continue their group medical benefits
for up to 18 mos (in some cases 36 mos). The participant will undoubtedly
lose the employer's premium contribution (if any) and may be surcharged up
to 2% over and above the actual premium, but a terminating employee cannot
be refused continuation of insurance (unless he was terminated because of
fraud or other criminal acts).

JUST AN F.Y.I.

I am from Missouri and I am employed by a Neurosurgeon with 8 employees.
Recently we had a fellow co-worker quit.  She had cancer and needed the
COBRA coverage.  In the state of Missouri, since we have less than 20
employees, we only have 9 months that we can be covered and they can charge
up to 150% of the employers cost as our COBRA premium.  Just be careful when
leaving or switching jobs.

Laurie D.
27
DX 12-23-91