[IP] Re: Hang in there

In a message dated 9/25/01 12:23:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< So I didn't have a whole lot of
 opportunity to make lasting friendships. I also didn't date until I was 19,
 by my own choice. I was hardly feeling up to dealing with the whole dating
 ritual til then. I can count the number of dates that I have been on with 1
     Pathetic isn't it? :-/
     Thanks for listening.
 Cherry  >>

Hi Cherry,
    As a mum of a Dm child I have read your posts with great interest.  Its
really hard for a parent to "let go" of a child, it would be impossible to
describe the agony you feel about their having such a terrible disease.
    No, just having a few dates is NOT pathetic!!  You have the right
attitude--why subject yourself to something you don't really want, just cause
you think it might be expected of you.  And as for having friends from high
school days, well I think most people's friends change as they get older
    Even if you don't want to pursue any formal education, you should try to
get out to take a general interest course of some sort.  That is what a lot
of people do for social stimulation and to meet people.  Years ago a guy that
I worked work studied a number of languages (he was very talented in this
area).  He told me that lots of women studied languages at night and sure
enough he met his wife studying at a german class!   Pick something you have
at least a small interest in and see what happens.
Best of luck,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7