Re: [IP] Update RE: Help! Any suggestions........

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:04:51 EDT,  Heather W. wrote:

In a message dated 9/23/2001 5:04:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Hi.  Thanks to all who emailed with suggestions and support.  Yes, I did go
> into the ER, but was released after a few hours.  I knew I was still
> dehydrated but couldn't convinced them to put IV fluids through me.  They
> tracked down the doc who was covering for my vacationing doc.  He told them
> to give me insulin and send me home and to call him throughout the night
> with my levels.  From 9:00 PM to 7:00 AM the next day, my levels had only
> dropped 4 points.  I was then told to call his office at 11 AM with my
> reading.  One meter (freestyle) said I was "HI" which obviously means I was
> over 600, it's limit.  My accu-check said 568.  When I called his office he
> told me to go to the hospital for admission.  I spent about 30 hours in
> and then was transferred to a regular room.  Got out today with numbers in
> the "normal" range.  MY doc still on vacation and the on call doc who is
> "anti pump" tried to say the pump just wasn't for me.  He put me on Lantus
> and Humalog and told me to follow up with my doc tomorrow.   Came home, and
> put my pump back on and (knock on wood) seem to be doing ok so far.  Will
> still follow up with doc tomorrow and keep you all posted.  Thanks again
> your support.
> Kelley in KS

I am glad you are doing better. I had the same thing happen to me and the
dr.'s at the ER also told me everything was because of the pump. Although
they didn't offer to run any tests or do anything else but blame my pump.
They also don't know anything about my insulin pump. One dr. didn't even know
what is was or have any idea what it did. I explained it to him! It is
amazing how many health pros do not even know what these pumps are. I think
they should be kept up on the latest in diabetes care if they are going to
treat patients. For this reason I am VERY stubborn about going to the ER. I
feel they don't have a clue what they are doing with my diabetes. I can
relate to your situation and just thought I would share. I hope you continue
to keep your bloodsugars down.
Take care, Heather W.
email @ redacted

When I first got my insulin pump - it took me forever to convince the doctor
to let me get one - even the endo who put me on it -- everytime I'd get sick
he'd tell me it "has to be an infection from your pump".  Bu**sh*t!!  I had
just put the site one site in less than 24 hours ago - and when I started
having problems, pulled it and put in a new one!!  If I'd complain to him
about a sinus infection (which I got even before i started on the pump) after
I got hte pump - he'd blame it on the pump!!  Now I know why he didn't want me
to start on my pump!!

And no - I no longer see him!!  I see a GP now who says, "If we can't figure
it out, we'll find someone who can!"

Deb in Southern Illinois