From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Jack Granowski
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2001 3:05 PM
To: insulin-pumpers-digest
Subject: [IP] Re: War

 > I just want to let ya'll know I'm a pumper and an
 > active member of the military!
That's great.  Congratulations.  Were you able to join w/dm?  Does your
branch have different regulations than the other services?  I would guess
that you were already a member when you contracted it.  IIRC, when I was
choosing between school and service ('66) if I had chosen the Army I would
have gotten an automatic ticket home when I was dx'ed (Oct '66) and would
have earned some kind of disability for the rest of my life.  That is one
way that they have improved, as they don't want to trash their investment
in training, etc. that they have in their recruits.  I had also tried to
join when I suspended my schooling ('70 I thought that I could help in the
support lines), and was quickly turned down. This was when they were
desperate for recruits.

As far as the statistics that DOD uses.  Why should they change?  They
won't take us because of expenses.  Period.  When they use older
statistics, the less will be the dissent from teenagers wanting to
join.  Maybe the laws and regulations that are in place in the workplace
will, eventually, be used for all.

--
Jack email @ redacted
Please watch for the missing, especially my son.