[IP] New Rules for Carry-On Luggage

Just found this info and thought I'd share.....
Linda V

Banned in Flight:
New Rules for Carry-On Luggage

By George Hobica

Back in the early days of air travel, passengers carried on board nothing
heavier than a small flight bag filled with something to read, essential
medications and perhaps a baby bottle. Today, we're accustomed to bringing
much more with us. But in light of the tragic events of Sept. 11, there are
new restrictions on what we can pack in our carry-ons.

U.S. airlines now prohibit what they call, broadly, "cutting instruments" --
basically anything with which you can cut or puncture something or someone.
There is no comprehensive list of what kinds of sharp or dangerous objects
are restricted, so use your common sense. (Just because a bow and arrow isn't
on the no-fly list, don't try to sneak it onboard.).

Here's a partial list of banned items:

Previously forbidden, carry-on or checked luggage:
-- toy guns
-- fireworks
-- explosives
-- butane lighter refills
-- paints
-- bleaches

Newly forbidden carry-on items:
-- knives, scissors or shears of any kind
-- nail clippers
-- straight-edged and certain other razors
-- box and carpet cutters
-- ice picks
-- "cutting instruments" of any kind

Banned by some foreign airlines and airports:
-- darts
-- baseball bats
-- pool cues
-- knitting needles

Because the regulations are somewhat open to interpretation by individual
security agents and airports, it's better to err on the side of safe rather
than sorry. And to make things even more challenging, airport and civil
aviation authorities outside the U.S. may have their own set of rules.

To sum up, here's a good rule of thumb: if you have the slightest doubt that
an item you're carrying might be construed as a sharp, potentially dangerous
item or a weapon of any kind, then pack it in your checked luggage. Even
better:Minimize what you carry on board as much as possible. As always, never
put essential medications, valuables such as jewelry and expensive or fragile
equipment such as cameras in checked luggage -- but now would be a great time
to take a big step backward to the golden age of air travel and just bring on
board a good book. This will speed you through security, and prevent any
questionable items from being confiscated.