[IP] Life expectancy

 >> The average life expectancy of insulin-dependent diabetics, diagnosed
 >> before
 >> the age of 30, has been reported as 29 years, with over half failing to
 >> reach 50 years of age.
 > Is this true?? Why haven't I heard anything like this from my doctors.
 > Let's see, I was diagnosed when I was 13, I am now 22, I guess I only have
 > 20 years left?!?! PRETTY SCARY AND DEPRESSING!!

This was true.  That is the reason they did the DCCT, which was completed
in '93 (not that long ago).  It is still true if you don't follow the
findings of tight control.  Your doctors don't tell you this because they
are probably telling you that there will be a cure in 5 years, or think
that you will have tight control.  That is why we have pumps and are on
this list.  This subject has been brought up here every year, or so.

Jack email @ redacted
Please watch for the missing, especially my son.
Humor is just another defense against the universe.
  - Mel Brooks