Re: [IP] I want to go to war but I'can't why diabetes(A RESPONSE)

>>> The average life expectancy of insulin-dependent diabetics, diagnosed
before the age of 30, has been reported as 29 years, with over half failing
to reach 50 years of age.  >>>

> Is this true?? Why haven't I heard anything like this from my doctors.
Let's see, I was diagnosed when I was 13, I am now 22, I guess I only have
20 years left?!?!  PRETTY SCARY AND DEPRESSING!!>

In 1950 I was given a *death sentence* and in my own mind knew I would not
live to see age 35 (1974). My mom subtly referred to my demise often. I
really had no future and can see why I lived in a mild depression all those
years. This is a reason I bawled so hard the day my grandson was born - to
think 2 more generations had come after me and I could have/should have died
in that coma when they took one BG a day in the hospital. So many advances
have been made since those days - the major ones I can think of are pumps,
Humalog, home BGs, carb counting.

The DOD needs to get up-to-date on their wording and outlook, but I can
remember back in the *"big* war many were disqualified for having flat feet
who were otherwise very healthy.  It really doesn't seem prudent at this
juncture to accept someone with a malfunctioning pancreas. ;)  There does
seem to be a certain amount of stress that could twist things up in war.
YMMV (~_^)

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I
start. So far today I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I
feel better already.