[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #452 - [OLD TIMERS]

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:43:10 -0400
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #452
> Hi, all old pumpers!  Can anyone match or beat my 47 years of diabetes??
> Barbara

SURE! When I received my sterling silver 50-yr medal from Eli Lilly (dx'd
11/5/50) I also received a letter stating to that point, they had issued
1,455 of them - and that's only to the ones they knew about. There is a link
to Old Timers on the IP homepage and I'm about 12-13 years behind *our*
longest termer. I believe it was in 1994(6?) That John Gant died after
having DM 74 years.

In fact, I was so thrilled I reached a half century of this *lifestyle* I
had a BASH (Bawling, Amazement, Sincerity, Humor) to celebrate life and
survival (NOT having DM)! About 100 people came (many from the 'net) and it
was one of the best days of my life. It was no coincidence Bawling was the
first item in the acronym (ask Roger Campbell who came 1,300 mi. for it and
I bawled on this *stranger's* shoulder).

The Joslin Diabetes Center issues a certificate to those with DM 25 years,
and a bronze medal for 50 years with proof of dx. You can ask for paperwork

You can see pics and story of the BASH through the links below. (~_^)

Patients can live with the word "incurable" but they can't live without the
word "HOPE." - Joanne Slomski, wheelcair-bound teacher