RE: [IP] places for insertions? - esp. on kids

Sharon Santana <email @ redacted> wrote:
hello all. my son is only pumping 2 weeks now (today!) and i think that
the sites on his bottom are much better than the ones on his belly. the
ones on his belly fall out too easily, no matter what kind of glue i
use, and all the failed sites, have been on his belly. we had another
last nite. the cannula was laying against his skin, rather that in his
skin. bad morning. ketones, stomach pains..... so, when i use his
backside, there arent many places to use. i dont think i want to go
anywhere he will sit on it, am i right? so to use only the top part,
only leaves a few inches on either side. he will not let me use anywhere
else to insert. any suggestions?
Sorry to hear about Steven's belly sites falling out - that's frustrating.
You might try a different style of infusion set on the belly than on
the bottom.  For us, the SofSets don't do well in the belly - they
get knocked around too easily, and for whatever reason belly skin
doesn't stick the same way as bottom skin.

Our son Luke (6) uses the top part of each hip (the fleshy
area covered by your hand between the hip bone & tail bone, no lower
because yes, he would sit on it & it gets uncomfortable).  We've also
used 1-2 sites in his "love handles" - the area covered by your palm
only just above the hip bone, on the back.  That worked great & Luke
actually liked them the best (easier to go to the bathroom & no
problem with where his pump is clipped on the front of his pants).
The only problem is that these are small areas, and we can't fit more
than 1 site/month into each side.  It's a good problem to have I suppose,
since we don't want him to be fat.  We also find that the belly area
about 1" below the belly button & fanning up each side works pretty good.
Hope you can find something that works on the belly, because we have
just enough time on rotating sites with using Luke's belly, hips &
love handles.  It takes 4-6 weeks for any one of his sites to
to be "fleshy" again & absorb well.  By the way, Luke has a better "feel"
for a good site than his dad & me, so we suggest the overall area & he
confirms whether it feels right or not by how "squishy" it is.
Good luck!