[IP] We need some help!!!

My daughter was put on the pump on 9/12.  We love it so far, but the other
night we ran into some problems.  We did a site rotation at 5:30 pm, and ate
dinner and so forth.  At  8:30 her numbers were a little on the high side,
but nothing serious.  We checked her at 12:00and she was at 274.  This didn't
seem right, so we checked her at 1:00 and she was at 323.  We have been told
by the doctor that for the first 2 weeks he doesn't want us to do a
correction bolus, but using our parental intuition, we attempted to do one
anyway.  The pump signaled there was no delivery after .4 units.  We tried
once more and it again signaled no delivery.  At this point we had to wake
her up to test for ketones, which she had and were large, and get some
insulin into her.  We finally got her hooked up again, and her numbers
started to go down at around 3:00.  My question is has this happend to anyone
where the alarm didn't sound during the regular basal but when trying to
bolus, it wouldn't deliver.  There is no telling how long there was no
delivery because there was no alarm.  We still love the pump, but now are
unsure about safety features.  Thanks for any help!!
Mom to Megan dx 9/00