[IP] Re: diabetic babies not developed

What I've heard is that *sometimes* the lungs of babies of
diabetic
mothers tend to be immature (I don't mean size-wise). They don't
have enough (or no) surfactant in them (just like a preemie) so
the
babies may need help with their breathing even if born at term,
and
even if they are of large birthweight. Their body may grow fast
but
the surfactant isn't being produced at the same rate as the
growth.
Add to this that babies of diabetic mothers are sometimes
delivered
early, and that causes them to have even less surfactant.

The very large babies that you see naturally have larger organs
than
other babies, so they are definitely not underdeveloped. But even
if
a large size, can have this lung problem that you typically see
with
preemies. I think this is probably what the dr was talking about
when
they said they are not as developed.

Take care, Kerri