RE: [IP] No More Carry-On Luggage!

Eugene Jorgenson [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I think the plastic knives they are talking about are either
> theese "box"
> knives which have plastic handles and disposable steel blades
> for opening
> shipping boxes, or knives with a synthetic ceramic blade
> which probably
> do not show up well on x-ray.

It was weapons like this that the hijackers apparently used.

I doubt that carry on luggage will be forbidden - but I'd count on a visual
and hands on search of all carry on items.  We might be required to expose
the pump, tubing, and infusion site, as well as demonstrate that the pump
works as designed (as has been done with cell phones).  It would be a good
idea to have a letter from one's physician if one is carrying needles.

Knives will be allowed in checked luggage, but not carry on (including these
little knives attached to key rings, etc.).  There will be no metal knives
allowed for food service, which, of course, has implications for in flight
meals, etc.  I also suspect that it won't be long before everyone will have
to pass a body scanner, not just a metal detector.  Personal privacy will
give way to security.

I would expect new rules about opening the cockpit during flight -
specifically that it does *not* get opened for any reason, and I would guess
that the cockpit bulkhead and door will be significantly reinforced so that
it can't be forced open.  Meals would have to be passed through some secure
passage, and there may have to be a toilet in the cockpit.

Just some additional thoughts . . .

The FAA will allow flights to resume in about an hour as I write this.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR