[IP] Re: Diabetic baby not developed?

In a message dated 9/12/01 8:40:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< She said that babies of diabetic women do not develop as fast
 in the womb as babies of non-diabetic women.  She said that most babies at
 38 weeks gestational are developed enough to be delivered but those of
 diabetic women are probably not developed as much and should wait until the
 full term of 40 weeks to be delivered.  Has anyone heard of this?   >>

I never heard of this.  When I had my daughter almost 18 yrs ago, the concern
was that they would not be getting enough oxygen in the last few weeks (I
think due to the placenta being 'used' up) and there was a risk of
stillborns.  They did stress tests (monitored her heart rate after she moved)
2X week starting at 36 weeks to make sure she was OK and if she wasn't then
they would have done a test to see if the lungs were developed enough to
induce delivery.  I was told that they would not let me go past my due date.
She was born at 38 1/2 weeks - a healthy 8lbs, 4 oz.

Type 1 - 28 years, pump 2 years
During pregnancy I took only 2 shots a day and had great blood sugars - can
you believe it!