Re: [IP] Re: blood donation-Barbara B. and Sue K.

Part of Sue's message is below.  In the original message, she had talked of
giving (injecting) her husband 20 U of insulin, not that he would receive it
"as part of her blood".  Your response to that message implied that if she
were to inject her husband with 20 U, he'd never have a problem.  My
response was to indicate that, direct injection of insulin into a person
without diabetes would be disasterous.  Your original response to that
message claimed it would not.  Perhaps you misunderstood Sue's original

"Sue Kinzelman...
...if I gave my husband 20 units of Humalog...."

Not the same thing. I am well aware of this old practice.
I've beena nurse for some time. In mental health therapy,
these people were given insulin directly [Barbara, this was the point of
Sue's original message].  In blood
donation, the insulin has been processed by someone else's
body, then processed again in the blood donation site, then
given to the individual.  Blood is separated into packed
cells and plasma. most people who need blood wil receive the
packed cells without the plasma. The insulin (whatever that
amount MIGHT be) will be mainly in the plasma.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE