[IP] Live from New York and donating blood combined

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:12:54 -0700 Sue Kinzelman <email @ redacted>

yes, that' right! As a matter of fact I think it is a felony for an insulin
dependent diabetic to donate blood.

catherine popper wrote:

> >   This is one of those days that I'm not complaining
> >   about my diabetes.
> >   Catherine
> >
> So I lied about the not complaining thing - they won't
> let insulin-dependant diabetics donate blood. I forgot
> about that.  Please, no matter where you live, muscle
> your friends into giving blood!
> Catherine

I have donated blood a couple of times - and YES they knew I was diabetic.  As
long as your blood sugar is under good control and you have not changed meds
or dosages in teh last I think it was 2 months.  When I asked about the
insulin pump because, technically, my dosage changes from day to day depending
on waht I eat - they said that was fine.  I could give.

I've given twice now and if I can find someone to watch my son I'm going to go
to the blood drive here in town tomorrow.  (It was scheduled LONG before this
came up though!!)

Deb in Southern Illinois