When I got pregnant, and neither was planned, there were no glucose monitors
and no pumps. That was 25 yrs ago.

My b.g. was far from being under good control because all we could test then
was urine testing and that was never accurate.

My ob at that time put me on a very strict sugar free/salt free diet and
wouldn't let me gain anymore than 25 lbs.  Everything I made had to be from
scratch.  No prepared foods, no canned foods, no frozen foods.  I couldn't
even eat pickles!

He told me that if I stayed on the diet and watched what I was doing I would
have a 90% chance of having a healthy normal baby as opposed to a non
diabetic who had a 95% chance of having a healthy normal baby.

Both of my children were born healthy and normal!

So if you are pregnant and not under good control right now, don't
panic...just work towards getting better control now!  There are just too
many tools available to diabetics now not to be more diligent in their care.

Good luck
Kathy Bruckmeyer
email @ redacted
diab 35 yrs pumping 12/00