[IP] Re: Number of Students in School With DM

When I entered high school (8-12) in 1945 I thought I was the only one
in the school (about 2000) with DM. 55 years later I attended my 50th
reunion and learned that the girl who sat directly in front of me in
8th grade homeroom and in English and history classes taught by the
same teacher, was also diabetic. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance
to compare notes with her at the reunion because she died in 1997 (of
cancer). I contacted Joslin Diabetes Center, from which I had received
the 50-year medal, and learned that my 8th grade classmate had also
received the Joslin medal.

So in my case at least, the population of diabetics in my school was
at least twice as large as I had always thought it was. At that age I
didn't want others to know, and I guess my classmate didn't either.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, pump 1995