[IP] Question about kids with parents who are Type I

From: "Debra Graves" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Re:  Question about kids with parents who are Type I

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:24:51 -0400  Andy wrote:

Does anyone here test their children's sugar levels?

That is, kids that are not diagnosed with diabetes.

I have a 2 year old who sees me do it all the time, and she wants me to
check hers.  I am a little worried to do it, for fear of a high number.

If I were you - I'd MUCH rather find that high number now - before it gets

My son was checked every 6 to 8 hours during the 5 1/2 weeks he spent in the
NICU when he was born.  Then, no one said anything about testing him.

When he was a year and a half old I asked the pediatrician to test him,
because he was constantly drinking and peeing (One of the BIG signs of
diabetes - right?)  The pediatrician (who was a brand new med school
said that if I wanted to, I could test him at home with my glucometer because
it would be a whole lot cheaper and he didn't think insurance would pay,
because Type 1 (or Juvenile - however you want to call it) is NOT hereditary!
Has anyone else been told this?

I did check him and still do check him every six months or so.  He's always
been fine.  Thank goodness!!  But, I'd rather catch it sooner than later if

Deb in Southern Illinois
Type 1 diabetes is not herreditary but the genetic predisposoition to it is.
the doctor has completed three years of residency specialty training if he is
a pediatrician, not a new med school graduate. He coiuld have been more
tactful and less gratuitous a worried moher doesn't care about the costs. Type
1 diabetes starts in a way that is virtually silent, therefore even if there
was a treatment to arrest it no one would know about it. spot in Eastern
Pennsylvania, I never tested my kids once but  I worry about my grandchildren