[IP] Re:High Blood Sugar Bolus

I use the insulin usage rule described in the book Pumping Insulin.
Humalog is absorbed at 30% per hour, so if you take 9 units at say 2 PM then
30% of 9 is 2.7, so you can figure how much you have left unabsorbed in your body.

I also use this formula to estimate where my glucose should be (each hour after)
but I'm
not sure you are supposed to use the rule that way. It's not perfect but it's
pretty accurate.

So here's an example: (I can't find my book at the moment so I need to recheck)

So say you take 9 units at 2PM

2PM   9.0 units  (left in your body cuz you just took it)
3PM   6.3 units  left
4PM   3.6 units  left
5PM   0.9 units  left
6PM   0.0 units  left

So in other words, when you bolus for a high blood sugar, technically  it takes
4 hours for the insulin to bring you down to your target BS goal.

I've also noticed that if I'm very high, the insulin doesn't seem to work as well
as it usually does
to bring my glucose down.

The way I estimate where my glucose should be is I figure how high I am. If I am
130 points higher than my
target glucose, I figure the insulin will bring the glucose down 30% each hour. So
30% of 130 is 39 points. So I figure
I should drop on the average 39 points per hour. So I don't bolus again for
several hours after I'm sure I have very little of
the initial bolus remaining in my body.