Re: [IP] Questions about insurance coverage

In a message dated 9/8/2001 7:29:43 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  The right time for
>  those questions is the first day of the job, when benefits are covered.

While I agree that a job candidate should not be asking about benefits,
salary, etc. during the interview process, I don't agree that you should wait
until the first day of work (or orientation) to ask these questions.  For
anyone, but especially for a person a chronic medical condition, I don't
think it is wise to accept a position without having a clear understanding of
the full details of the employment offer, including details about benefits
options, cost, coverages, etc.  In one of my earliest jobs, I didn't bother
to ask (who thinks of these things when you're 22 and healthy?) about the
"fully employer paid medical coverage" and later discovered that is was a
horrible HMO (that, fortunately, they dropped a few months later) or a very
high deductible indemnity plan  . . . Ever since, I've not accepted a job
offer without reviewing the benefits booklets for the medical plan(s)
available . . .