Re: [IP] Number of diabetic kids in school

In a message dated 9/8/2001 12:27:25 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> So, does the fact that I was the "only one" have to do with the fact that we
>  were so far away from a "major medical facility"?

I wouldn't think so . . . What I was told that the ratio of type 1s in the US
used to be more like 1 in 600 and so the average teacher might have one type
1 student in her class during her entire career . . . Now the ratio is 1 to
300 or even lower, and I've been told that the those diagnosed nowdays have a
much greater proportion who are younger (toddlers to young school age) than
in the past when most new onsets were people were between, say, 10 and 20
years of age when diagnosed, so many  elementary teachers would go their
whole careers without ever having had a student with diabetes  . . . I heard
all this from a teacher who's (now grown) daughter is type 1, but I don't
have any hard data on this . . .