[IP] Number of diabetic kids in school

Everyone talking about all the kids in their school with diabetes has started
me wondering - are more kids being diagnosed now than there were 20 or so
years ago?

Or is it, as someone else suggested, that the number of diabetics in the
school has to do with the location of the school?

I am a 29-year-old type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed at the age of 5-1/2.
After my diagnosis, my mom went to the school to start explaining everything
to the teachers, etc.  She was told I was the first diabetic they had ever had
in the school district!  And this school district encompasses 4 small towns
and the one big one.  I know when I was there, the number of kids in my class
alone was around 150.

When I was in fifth grade - another girl in the school - in MY CLASS actually
(talk about freaky!!  lol)  was diagnosed with type 1.

This is a fairly small town (population of 5000) in Southern Illinois.  The
closest "major medical facility" would be in St. Louis, MO, which is 60 miles

So, does the fact that I was the "only one" have to do with the fact that we
were so far away from a "major medical facility"?  I really don't know.  You
guys just started me thinking after reading the posts about so many diabetics
in these schools.

Deb in Southern Illinois