RE: [IP] a mom's anguish...vent

Please do yourself a big favor as well as for your son!

>From your saying he went to a dance, I am assuming that he is at least in
middle school...

Please do not make him stand out in the crowd and treat him as you would a
"normal" child.

My mother babied me, watched over me, told me I was too sick to do this or
that...and at school they used to tell me what I could and could not do at

People didn't know much about the disease back then and used to think they
could catch it so only my best of best friends knew about it and that was
only so that they would know what to do if I bottomed out.

You have to learn to give some of the responsibilities of being a diabetic
to your child.  you will not always be there holding his hand, especially by
the time he goes off to college or what do you do when he gets a part time
job after school?

He has to learn how to deal with his high's and lows and what to bolus for
and how to count carbs and you have to let him learn, no matter how much it
hurts..you have to cut the apron strings....

It is extremely hard to do this with a child w/o diabetes and even hard for
a child who does have it, but nonetheless, they are children and we do have
to give them their wings and let them fly away from the nest.

I mean this in all sincereity, just relating to how much I hated being
babied while I was growing up.

Kathy Bruckmeyer
email @ redacted
diab 35 yrs pumping 12/00