[IP] Re: a1c hgb - gold standard

(apologies if this comes through twice, lost connection as
I hit send)
Sorry Spot, just using the same terminology our endo has
used many
times when discussing this issue. Perhaps he is just
things (he does that sometimes, by his own admittance.) He
seems to
use the words glycosylated/glycated, etc interchangeably a
lot. But
like I said, probably just oversimplifying.
I know what I meant to say but obviously didn't convey it
All I know is that our lab report says:
glycohgb 9.1% calc a1c 7.8% - which is why I asked our endo
about it
in the first place. Ours is a calculated a1c which isn't as
as a measured a1c (I'm told the measured a1c is the gold
standard and
also more expensive which is why our lab doesn't use it).
So our endo
places more importance on that glyc # than the calc a1c
since it is
the more accurate number (because it is an actual
measurement and not
a calculation.) But at our appts he tells us the calc
a1c#...(I guess
because that - the term a1c - is the more familiar one to
Maybe because it is the lower one and he doesn't want us to
feel bad?
Who knows! LOL) So, in order of accuracy: measured a1c,
measured glyc
(or whatever), calc a1c. That was the gist of what I was
trying to
say before. I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on - it's
not like
I contribute much here anyway. ;)

take care, Kerri

Spot said:
No, glycosylation is not the same as A1c which is the
hemoglobin which has incorporated glucose molecules into
during formation. glycosylation is a relatively loose
attachment of
glucose to a protein. it is not something to measure
because it
doesn't change the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood
like a1c does. that is why a lot of problems actually
happen. the
oxgen tensions are lower in the capillary beds resulting in

uncontrolled angiogenesis.( sprouting of new blood