RE: [IP] Animas experiences good and bad

Jay Watson wrote:
I have used an H-Tron for the duration of its 5 yr. warranty and have been
instructed to replace it with a new pump (one with a warranty).  I am
looking
at all three manufactures, but know very little about Animas.  Does anyone
have any experiences regarding interactions with Animas Inc.  I'd also like
know if anyone has any issues about break-downs etc. of their pump.
I switched from the H-TronPlus to Animas in March. The new features
important to me were .05 basal increments, extended boluses, temp basal
duration setting, and ability to load a less-than-full cartridge with fairly
accurate insulin remaining reading. The D-Tron has similar features but I
like the appearance of the Animas over the D-Tron.

I've found their support to be fantastic! They've answered all my
questions - if the person you first talk to can't, they find someone who
can. Got a quick callback when I woke up one morning with a continuous alarm
that I couldn't stop. Quick answer - take the batteries out for a moment.
This alarm was the result of one problem they are having - not with the
pump, but with the plastic cartridges. I had two pumps replaced because of
occlusion alarms and priming problems. It seems that there have been some
problems with some plastic cartridges. This is a design problem they are
working on correcting. If it's even slightly out of shape it can cause
occlusion alarms. There's probably a better explanation but that's how I
understood it. Be aware that this has only happened to me with two
cartridges. If it happens again I will just change the cartridge, but they
dealt with my past problems by exchanging the pump (next day). I found out
this information when talking to one of their reps who had called as a
follow-up to my latest pump return.

My few dislikes (far outweighed by the benefits):
1. In spite of the accuracy available for basals (.05), all totals (basal
and bolus history) are reported in whole numbers. So my 7.75 basal profile
is reported as 8 units.
2. The remaining insulin is reported in 5-unit increments - it doesn't tell
you that in the manual.

I am very pleased with my pump and with the Animas support.

Laura