Re: [IP] a mom's anguish...vent

Hi Sylvia

I have not walked in your shoes in regards to having a child with diabetes,
but on an intellectual level I'm glad I'm the one who has it rather than my
child or grandchildren. As far as having diabetes goes, however, it's normal
for me. I don't remember my "other" life. I learned and learned and learned
so that, most of the time, I go on autopilot (although I have my moments
...). Most of the time, however, it's not that big a deal. I still pretty
much do whatever I want and just automatically work around the diabetes. It
took a lot of studying, though!

As for using alternate sites, however, I can give you the following:

    New monitoring devices that use blood from your forearms or thighs may
save wear and tear on your fingers. However, two sets of researchers
reporting at the American Diabetes Association's scientific sessions in June
warn that readings from alternate sites should be used only if you're
unlikely to be experiencing fast blood-glucose changes.
    Researchers in California found that finger sites produced higher results
when compared to readings taken from the forearm and thigh, particularly at
60 and 90 minutes after a meal. German researchers noted that it took between
27 and 34 minutes for blood taken from the forearm to register hypoglycemic
    Both groups of researchers said pre-meal values were about the same for
all sites.

That's a condensation of the following abstracts, which can be found on the
ADA website (just do a search under "Scientific Sessions" or something like
that):  214-OR and 444-P. You probably know this, but the ADA URL is

Hey, you're doing good. It'll get you down once in awhile, but try not to let
it do that too often. And please do let Josh know something about your
feelings. It'll let him know that it's OK for *him* to hate it, too. :-)

Jan and Elvis