[IP] Re: Symptoms in infants

email @ redacted writes:

 I'd like information from parents of diabetic infants, please.  Can you tell
me what symptoms you noticed in your child before diagnosis?  My sister just
found out that her 10 month old has dropped from the 75th weight percentile
to the 10th since birth, and we're both worried that he may be D since it
runs in our family.  She's waiting for an appt. with a pediatrician, and I
can't check his bg because we live far from each other.  Thanks in advance.
 - -- >>

If she suspects diabetes she should NOT be waiting for an appt. with a
paediatrician.  She should tell the nurse/receptionist that the baby needs to
be seen TODAY and tell them the reason why.  Claire was dx at 2 because I
insisted on dropping off a urine sample while her doctor was away at a
conference for a few days. She was getting listless and tired at times, but
still had lots of energy to play.  Her doctor absolutely flipped on the
Monday of his return after seeing there was glucose in the urine and insisted
that she be at the emergency room of the hospital within an hour.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7