[IP] Statistical significance of kids with diabetes

> >>- ----- > The national average is ~1:300
> > email @ redacted<<
> >>So, in Eve's school there are 7 d kids in a total of 1,050 student. That
> would be about 1 in 150. So, that is double than the normal
> population. So, they do have a high number.
> Deborah mom to Eve 14, and her pump Zoe
> Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99<<
> Is the 1 in 300 based on just kids with Type 1?

There are something over 1 to 1.4 million Type 1's in the US if my
memory serves me right -- population about 350 mil. It has nothing to
do with kids per-se. The distribution in the population should be
pretty uniform with a higher than average incidence for those of
scandinavian decent. Whether or not a particular school has above or
below that average is not statistically very interesting because the
numbers are too small. A sample of 3 or 10 or whatever (that size)
can't be used to draw any conclusions. Maybe Jim H can comment on how
and when you can draw conclusions based on sample size.