[IP] Re: Non-Carb counting pumpers

Well Stephanie,
Welcome, and don't let all the replies knock ya over.  My Hubby,too, is called
a "brittle diabetic", and believe me I know all about the bad highs and lows
(first name basis with emergency personnel).  I think the general gist of all
the messages is that for the most part Carb Counting has given pumpers a lot
more freedom.  Even on a straight exchange system meal plan, you still have so
many variables because of how an individual's body processes all types of
food.  Thus 3 bread exchanges may not always equal 3 bread exchanges unless
you eat exactly the same foods all the time, and even then quirks such as
exercise can change things.
What carb counting has done for Hubby is allowed a lot more freedom in the
amount and type of food he eats.  If he's not too hungry, no problem, adjust
bolus to fit the carbs with a little thrown in for "the other stuff".  If he's
ravenous, again just adjust the bolus.  Out to dinner and really want that
filet, but the stuffed potato doesn't appeal, yet the roll looks good,  no
problem, don't have to eat but what you want.  At a friend's house for a party
and they have good healthy snacks, again can take a small bolus to cover.
Believe it or not, Hubby has lost weight since pumping because he no longer
"fits the food to the insulin", but "fits the insulin to the food".  Without
all those horrible hypos which screamed, "feed me, feed me, feed me," he's
actually knocked "calories" off what he used to eat yet gets to eat what he
really wants.  Yes, some people do gain weight.  He wasn't really overweight,
but now he's right in the middle of his weight range where he should be.
It took him a while to see the freedom he could have with pumping, not only in
terms of eating when you feel hungry (not just because the darn long acting
stuff would be peaking), but how and what you can choose to eat.
However your Hubby chooses to go, the pump should make life much easier.  The
only suggestion would be to make sure basal rates aren't too high since that
can throw everything off.
Best of luck,
Marj; Mike; and "Ace, the PP" (portable pancreas)