[IP] symptoms in infants

I'd like information from parents of diabetic infants, please.  Can you tell me what symptoms you noticed in your child before diagnosis?  My sister just found out that her 10 month old has dropped from the 75th weight percentile to the 10th since birth, and we're both worried that he may be D since it runs in our family.  She's waiting for an appt. with a pediatrician, and I can't check his bg because we live far from each other.  Thanks in advance.