[IP] Re: Non-Carb counting pumpers

Though I do agree with your doctor that everyone doesn't metabolize carbs
at the same rate, I disagree that carb counting is a fad.  Carbs and
insulin counter act each other.  And while there are other factors in how
insulin controls blood sugar, carb counting is an excellent way to better
control your diabetes.  This is the first time I have heard of someone
not carb counting while on the pump.  Carb counting is one of the reasons
that pumping appealed to me.  It seemed closer to a normal person's
reactions to insulin and glucose.  If you aren't carb counting, how do
you know what to bolus for a meal or snack, and how is pumping different
than injecting for you besides the number of times you stick yourself?  I
want to help you get as much out of your pumping experience as you can,
and as of right now I don't know that you are.  Please, feel free to ask
the list any questions, 'cause we all love! to help.  Best of luck.
--Kate Patterson, dxd 10/91, pumping 07/98 >Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001
07:05:02 -0600