Re: [IP] Re: Exercise and new skin cream

In a message dated 9/5/2001 8:33:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I've been pumping since July 18th.  This past week I've finally gotten back
> into an exercise routine, with two out of three of my kids back in school.
> test my bg before I exercise and then immediately after.  My problem is my
> bg
> drops an hour or two later.  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with my
> basals.  I've tried disconnecting while I exercise, I've tried leaving the
> pump on.  I'm wondering if I shouldn't set a temporary basal for 2 to 3
> hours
> after exercise.  Any input would be appreciated.

You should always talk to your doctor about making any changes to your basal
rates, but when I do house work or yard work I set my temp basal rate one
hour before I start and set it for about 2-3 hours since I never know how
long I will be doing the work for.  You need to let the insulin drop for a
bit before you start, I did read this in our Mini Med users guide. Hope this
helps and good luck with the weight loss. oh, and it also says to never drop
your basal rate by 50%, you may not get enough insulin.