[IP] Is this a way to diagnose Carpel Tunnel

Two messages on ip digest about carpel tunnel syndrome:
Jack Granowski writes:
> I was told by a message therapist that the way to diagnose carpel
 > Tunnel to to place your forearm on a hard flat surface with the upper
 > arm at a 90 deg angle. Then attempt to raise your thumb and small
 > finger at the same time. If you can raise the thumb and small finger
 > at the same time and do it without pain; you don;t have Carpel Tunnel.
 > Anyone with and those w/o carpel Tunnel care to try this and let me know?
 > TIA.

Not me.  The doctors/surgeons tried all kinds of manipulations, but did not
confirm it until they did some type of test that measured the response
through the CT.  In addition, mine varied by the time of day.  In the
morning I had to get up a half hour early to be able to button my shirt and
it was difficult to write at school because of the pain.  At night, after
my labor job with sledge hammers and jack hammers, there would be no
discomfort, at all.  I could have passed that test at night, because the
tendons, etc. loosened up with use.

I can see where a massage therapist could help, temporarily, by helping to
loosen it up.  For my case, it would tighten up overnight anyway.  As time
went on, it took longer and longer to be able to use my hands
everyday.  Which is why I finally had the (successful) surgery.

- --
Jack email @ redacted
Please watch for the missing, especially my son.
- --
Circumstances - what are circumstances?  I make circumstances.
  - Napoleon Bonaparte

From: "jspock @shore.net" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Is this a way to diagnose Carpel Tunnel?

I was never diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel, but I do have Thoracic Outlet
Syndrome.  I tried it, but I can't make that move without some major pain,
and muscle spasms afterward.

So, who knows?

AIM:  jspock1
ICQ:  25177424
MSN:  email @ redacted

cts is generally diagnosed by passing a brief spike of high voltage across
thhe carpel tunnel and seeing how long it takes to travel the distance. The
exact number is different for everyone performing the test and each different
piece of equipment. generally, values over 6 to 7 ms are not felt to be
normal. the test is not pleasant but it's not horrible. hypothyroidism can
make the test abnormal, as well as diabetes and Hashimoto's thyroiditis ,
Pernicious Anemia will do it too. The test means the nerve conduction is not
normal but it doesn't point to a reason. Surgery of cts is often of little or
no benefit in  diabetic patients. Long live neurology!
Diagnosis:, people always complain of pain in the wrists and tingling in the
hands about 2 to 4 hours into a night's sleep and there is a positive Tinel's
sign: tapping over the carpel tunnel elicits tingling in the hand and index
finger. "Listen to the patient, he's telling you what is wrong ." Don't give
me "G's", the patient is right the tests are wrong." MBB! my chief and idol.