<< Subject: [IP] baby question >>

Julie, my experience is similar to the others reported here in response to
you. I had the problem with my first child not knowing how to suck properly
and she was only a week early.  My second  was a worse case, but what I was
told is that if the lungs are not properly developed at birth then they tire
very easily and thus won't eat properly.. The sucking motion serves two
purposes it feeds them (obvious) but it also works the lungs into better

My son (second child) was nine pounds five weeks early and was on a
respirator for five weeks. He now shows no sign of lung disorders. At birth
he also had an enlarged heart which was also attributed to child of IDDM. The
heart problem resolved before age 2. He was on Digoxen until then to control
the rapid heartbeat.  My daughter was 8.5 and has very bad asthma that was
finally diagnosed at age 10. From the time she was born I was always
concerned that she had a rather large spot on her chest that was not
developed properly (caved in look). I believe that she in fact had resp.
problems that were not properly diagnosed at birth and have contributed to
her breathing problems that developed.

Of course my kids are now 22 and 19  medicine has progressed a great deal.